Monday, November 3, 2008

progress reports and fashion flippers

Welcome to the segment of Triathablog where I brag about my accomplishments and blatantly stroke my own ego.

This past week marked a milestone of sorts for me in this Triathajourney. Before I started swimming, I would have never guessed how ridiculously hard it is. My first couple of weeks in the water I had to go through a mental checklist while swimming to make sure I was doing everything. "Am I moving my arms? Am I breathing? Am I kicking my feet? Am I not drowning?" Most of the time, I was not doing one or more of those things. Usually the kicking of the feet, which will certainly get you nowhere fast. Swimming, for me, has been more taxing on the ol' respiratory system than running ever was (yeah, Carrie - I said that). In the beginning I was taking long breaks after each lap, and have slowly worked my way up to doing multiple laps at a time. The introduction of the flip turn has helped tremendously in shortening the down time.

Not only am I competitive with the other ladies in Triathablog, I am also competitive with myself. I find that I make bets with myself to do things in the pool - and life in general. "I bet you can't fold your laundry within the next five minutes!" Or, "I bet you can't swim 100 meters without stopping!" These challenges are usually met with an obstinate, "Oh, yeah? Watch this!" I realize that this makes me a Crazy, but it works. Don't judge me.

Last week I bet myself that I couldn't swim 200 meters with flip turns without stopping. Not only did I do it, but I beat my wager by 50 meters! I was very proud of myself, and promptly told anyone who would listen. If you would care to shower me with praise, please do so in the comments section.

On a totally unrelated note, I ran across these online last week while attempting to find a costume to swim in. They may be the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.

2 comments:

Elisa M said...

Amazing! Fantastic! Death Defying! Splendid!

seriously, that is awesome. Triathawesome even.

Anonymous said...

you inspired me to try flip turning. not only did i fail, but i almost died. i'm glad you're so awesome, though.