Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Start your...cranks, running shoes and flippers....?

Day one and all I can think is "When on earth am I going to have time to ride for 30 minutes today?!" Not a great way to begin. I guess that is the point, to make time. To carve out a space to do something I love and, frankly need, to stay sane and healthy. With all the website talk and contest planning and rule making, it has been easy to get swept away in this before it even started. To forget that after it is all set up, I have to actually do it. Figure out a way to cycle 30 minutes, 4 times a week. My main goal in this project is to begin commuting to work via bike. 10 miles and many, many hills away. How to get started?

So, I am going to do the only thing I can think of right now. Bike to wherever I need to go. Tonight I have Community Group about 1.5 miles away. About 15 minutes there, 15 minutes home and Voila!, my 30 minutes. Plus not using any gas, putting miles on my car and enjoying the fall weather.

On days like today (my boss has been out for a while, the economy is wreaking havoc on business, lunch meeting, little sleep, achy head), it seems like sitting on the couch would be the best idea. If not for this project that is probably exactly what I would do. No more. Gone are the days of making excuses not to ride. Of driving because I just don't have the energy to climb on the seat and move a pedal. I know that riding will feel great; the crisp air, the feel of the road...not to mention the energy I'll have once I have ridden. The sense of accomplishment at knowing I have at least gotten in one day this week (thereby not letting Carrie and Amanda get a leg up on me!). Plus the eco-friendliness of not taking my car somewhere less than 5 miles away.

Do I want to sink onto the couch? yes. Am I going to? Nope.

Let's hope I can keep this feeling for 3 months.

And to Carrie and Amanda: Game ON.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

bring it!

yeah, i said that.

Natalie said...

You go you urban green healthy hippy girl you.

alan b said...

can't wait to watch this develop.