Friday, January 2, 2009

Loss and Gain...my Triathablog retrospective



My apologies for somehow completely missing my last day to blog! Things got pretty busy here and time slipped away.

There has been a sudden interest in my story of being a female bike commuter since Self Magazine named Birmingham as the unhealthiest commute with the lowest % of women bike commuters. Within 2 days, I was approached by a magazine, the local news station and The Birmingham News. Crazy, huh? I am just glad to be getting the word out.

On my last commute of 08, I spent most of the ride thinking about what Triathablog has done in my life. At that point, I assumed that I had lost, but I couldn’t feel less like a loser. My goal for Triathablog was to make cycling a part of my life, for fitness and community. In these 3 months, I have become comfortable commuting to work (in a dress!), riding with the boys, got the wheels moving to start a Non-Profit Bike Co-op and met tons of amazing people.

I have learned that riding your bike to work is more than a ride, it is a statement. I learned the politicians love the idea of bikes on the roads, but are reticent to actually make it a reality. I have learned the nearly all children want to ride bikes and think adults who do are cool. I have learned as well that adults who don’t ride live sedentary lives seem to really dislike my riding. I have learned the fixed gear bikes are more than just a hipster trend and am saving for one now!

Most of all I have learned that cyclists are a unique bunch, who will welcome a new rider with open arms, whether you are dressed in spandex or a skirt and boots.

I may have lost Triathablog, but I have gained a new community and a new way of life. And for that I am not ashamed.

Thanks to Carrie and Amanda for being supportive and just competitive enough to make me bust my ass for 3 months! You girls are awesome and I am excited about our next adventure (girl’s Fight Club anyone??). Thanks to Heath for being a kick ass mechanic who kept Mick in shape for all my triathadventures. Thanks to the Brocyclers for all the fun and for letting a girl into the club of Birmingham urban cyclists. Thanks to all our readers for your support and cheerleading, I truly couldn't have finished this only 1 point behind without you.


Keep up with me and my cycling adventures at my new blog: BikeSkirt. If you ever want to ride, give me a shout.
See you on the roads in 2009 and beyond.
-elisa

(special thanks to T.Scott Carlisle for the amazing photos. See them all here: www.t-photographic.com/tsc/elisa )

No comments: