Monday, December 15, 2008

Money: The Great Motivator

In true procrastinator fashion, I waited until this weekend to do my Christmas shopping. It happens every year, partly because I just don't want to, and partly because I'm waiting for my bonus. With only a handful of people to buy for and few stores to hit, I thought I'd get off rather cheaply this year. Wrong - In four short hours I spent about half of that bonus.

During a short break at work today, I rushed home for a quick lunch and noticed a pile of bills to be paid on the kitchen counter. In a short three minutes, I spent another large chunk of that bonus. Among the bills for power, gas (first one since we turned the heat on - yikes), and water was the bill for the gym. I am really lucky to have a roommate who gets me the hook-up to the nicest gym in town, but today even writing that check for $21.66 hurt just a little. It also reminded me that I am paying to go - something I haven't done in years - and I didn't go at all last week, thus my lack of points. It would have been so easy to skip today, using yet another holiday gathering as my excuse. But I reminded myself throughout the day of that $21.66, and of my second week without points. I mustered up some motivation, cheered myself on, and went to the gym. With time to spare for dinner and blogging before the second of six parties this week, no less.

My slogan for the rest of December is "Zero, No Mo." Let's hope I live up to it.

No comments: