Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Why I Love my Commute, Part Two: The Weather

It seems that I would be a slave to the weather as a bike commuter, and I am. I am also, however, completely in love with the weather. Most people think of weather in their commute as something that they have to deal with getting into the car and then the office. Not I. For me, it is something I feel every minute of the ride. I am directly affected by every aspect of the day's weather. All day long. If the weather calls for possible storms in the afternoon, I have to be careful not to get stuck at work (not experienced enough to ride in the rain AND dark).

Windy days are both good and bad. A strong head wind is great when going downhill on a hot day but terrible when going uphill in the cold or spitting rain. The wind changes when it is about to rain. I can feel that. I can tell you if a storm is coming...the wind shift, the air smells differently (comes from a gas called petrichor) and the colors are particularly sharp.

Sunny days are sometimes worse than cloudy or windy days. I have awakened to a clear, sunny day and dreaded my ride. Sunny mornings mean less visibility and blinded driveron certain streets. It also means heat. Here in the southeast, even in the winter, sometimes it is too much heat for a vigorous ride. What I wear is dependent on the weather, and not just which umbrella to use or which jacket to throw on. Cold, sunny days mean layers and layers. Sunny summer days mean bringing an extra set of clothes.

The day (actually hours) after rain is wonderful. Clear and crisp and the fresh smell of trees and earth. Even in the city. However, I must remember that the roads also have extra grease and debris on them and ride accordingly.

Cars also act differently depending on the weather. Sunny days equal more speed and less patience for me. I get a lot of honks and yells on sunny mornings! Cloudy days people seem to be more tired and act more recklessly, cutting me off and swerving into my lane. Chilly mornings and everyone is so nice, feeling sorry for the poor little girl riding her bike to work in tights and a skirt (Ha! Jokes on them).

My favorite weather to commute in is a brisk (55-65 degrees), breezy, slightly cloudy day. You couldn't pay me to get into my car on days like those. Unless I have overslept, but that is for another day's post...

*side note: An alleycat race is taking place this Saturday, 4pm at Linn Park. Come out and be a part or just hang out (they could use some help manning stops). The proceeds benefit Bici Coop, a community bike shop that is in the works. Fun AND philanthropic, who can pass that up? Plus, you could win a Triathablog Tshirt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you're saying that if someone offered you money to get into their car on a sunny day you'd do it? what about a lonely night? hmmmm. i voted cyclist and i vote again for scandal!

woop woop!