Monday, November 10, 2008

leisurely laps

This weekend I journeyed to Orange Beach for my company's semi-annual beach trip. With only three of my weekly swims in, I needed to put on the suit and do some laps - not exactly something I wanted to do in front of my coworkers. It is one thing to swim at the gym with people I don't know, but to swim with people who share cube space with me is more than a little daunting.

I waited until the last morning when everyone was too hungover to be out of their beds, much less in the pool. I slipped out of my room and made the chilly trip down eleven floors to the indoor swimming hole. Thankfully, I didn't see any familiar faces, but I did see lots of Gray Hairs. Of course, I felt right at home with them, since they are always the ones out and about in the mornings at the gym.

The pool was tiny - probably about 12 meters at it's longest point. The Olds couldn't decide which way they wanted to go. They'd swim across the length of the pool, then maybe take a diagonal lap. Whichever way suited their fancy, I suppose. I definitely ran smack into an old man one time, to which he exclaimed, "I'm sorry! Didn't mean to cut you off!" I'm not really sure how he didn't see me coming. More time was spent waiting for someone to pass by than actually swimming. But one of the ladies told me that I had "swimmer's shoulders" and I wanted to kiss her on the mouth. I'm not sure that is true, but at least some little old lady out there thinks so. Kind of like how the only people who tell me I'm beautiful are middle-aged women. It may not be an available man, but at least it's something.

We continued our conversation for a while after swimming, and it was quite enjoyable. Then after I got out of the water, another older lady struck up a conversation with me and we talked for a few minutes. It might not have been the best day for exercise, but it was probably the most entertaining time I've had in the water yet. I'll take that.

No comments: