Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mother's Little Helper

I know that lately I haven't really been getting too personal. I have been waxing poetically about my wonderful commute and extolling the wonders of bike websites. Well, tonight I change that.

I have depression and OCD. Take a moment to register your shock or laugh at the obviousness of that statement. Ok, done? I am also coming on the anniversary of a pretty tragic event in my life, and my job is so stressful that I leave with a tension headache every other day. I would expect to be a complete wreck, crying all the time or numbing out completely.

Strangely that has not been the case. At first, I thought I was not dealing, or must be avoiding issues. Then I realized that nothing lately has really thrown me for a loop. It stopped about 2 months ago. Right about the time I started riding pretty seriously. Coincidence? I doubt it. I feel great and so hopeful. My insomnia has all but disappeared and I find myself with more energy than I have ever had. I have never had such a great body image. I simply feel great.

THAT is the best part of cycling for me. It has been a scary thing, throwing myself into a sport and an established (male-dominated) community. A year ago this would have thrown me into paralyzing fear and insecurity. Instead, I am so excited and full of hope. I look forward to my next ride and find myself hoping that I can ride to wherever my destination may be (concert, party, grocery store, church...).

Is this from the support I have found in friends and fellow riders, or the actual riding? I think it is a bit of both. Either way, I am so grateful. Yes, life is hard and some things are hard to accept, but everything feels a little bit easier on my bike.

On another note, Mick Jaggar is so sexy right now. New blue tires and white bar tape. If my bike were a person, I would have a mad crush on it. Picture to come.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love bikes.

Amanda said...

posting this was big, e.

it really is amazing how our bodies are made and how the respond to movement, or the lack thereof. way to go, god!

(ps ... my word verification was "lanobun." made me want a cinnamon roll.)