Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gear Me, Bro

Today I went and got some gear. So far, I have been pretty content in my street clothes to ride. Lately it has gotten a little more uncomfortable on long rides, so today before a longer ride I decided to see what was out there.

First off, it is not cheap. However, I think it is totally worth it now that I spent a comfortable day in the saddle. Here is what I purchased (from Homewood Cycles):

Shebeest riding shorts. These are to be worn under my street clothes for that extra padding. For that reason I needed them to be short and tight. I was quite afraid I wouldn't be able to find any, but they are perfect. I guess I can no longer say I am anti-spandex, just anti-spandex on the outside!

Defeet Armskins. These things are AMAZING. They are sleeves that you put on, and when you get hot on a ride you just slide them down. I love them. (plus I feel like a total bad ass wearing them). I particularly like these because they are not shiny, so I feel they look a little less 'gear-y'.

Adorable Betty's Bike Gear socks! white with pink and black chain around the ankle! so cute and so...not cotton. Perfect for wearing with my pink and black Vans and my jean leg rolled up.

New tube. It was time to get one to put in my bag.

Speaking of bags, I was recently introduced to this site: ChainLove. Oh.My.Goodness! Every hour they have a new deal that you can buy. I bought this bag for 67% less expensive than retail. It is going to be perfect for winter work commuting. the small bag I have was struggling to hold work clothes, heels, spare tube, toiletries and a lock. Now I will room to spare. They also shipped it out 2 hours after my order went through. Check it out.

I guess I am not as gearaphobic as I thought. Some of it really does help, even for Urban Cycling. So, this is a big apology to everyone to whom I wrinkled my nose when they mentioned padded spandex shorts or cycling specific socks. I may not be wearing them in the same way, but I will be sporting them right alongside you.

No comments: