Saturday, November 15, 2008

Special Report: The Bicycle Co-op

The two biggest variables that scared me about becoming a commuter/urban cyclist were:

1. Fear of Bike shops and of doing simple repairs
2. Cost of repairs and maintenance

It looks like I am not the only one to feel this way, and some groups and communities are finding a way to combat these fears in order to get people on two wheels. Called Bike co-ops, Bike Churches and Bike Collectives, they all have one goal in mind: to get folks on bikes and on the roads. Most shops offer a space for repairing bikes, as well as tools and volunteer mechanics to guide you in fixing your ride.

These shops all require you to get a little dirty. No dropping off your bike before work. However, there are also no $30 bills for them to 'adjust' something and act condescendingly toward you. What a deal! Hanging out in a bike shop, learning to fix your bike and getting some repairs done. Sign me up.

These co-ops exist for more than that. Some are geared toward youth, like Cycles of Change. Many are starting an Earn-a-bike program, which trades volunteer hours for a rebuilt bike (which you help to build). Others market themselves toward lower income and shelter residents, giving them reliable transportation and a place for low to no cost repairs. These shops are Non-Profit and many rely on donations and volunteer hours.

One thing that I was excited to see is that most of the guides (yes, there are guides to starting a bicycle co-op) is that they encourage 'ladies night' (A few have ladies and Trans night!), recognizing that the ability to do simple repairs in a non-threatening environment is a huge roadblock to women cycling. The first time I got a flat, I was stuck, having never learned to change one. I had to call and friend and then bring Mick Jagger to a shop and paying for a change. I am lucky enough to have a friend (thanks Heath!) who took time to teach me tonight, but having a space and special time for women is a great service.

There is a conference, Bike! Bike!, that provides instruction, support and comraderie for bike co-ops throughout the country. These consist of rides, workshops, parties and a chance for like minded riders to get together and collectively talk about how to improve the cycling culture in America. Bike!Bike! Southeast is being held in Atlanta Jan 22-25. I am hoping to get a group together (anyone interested?).

Wondering why we don't have one in Birmingham? Fear not, the men of Brocycle are working on Bici co-op, a community bike shop here in town. I am so excited to see this unfold in my community and can't wait to help out. Tomorrows allecat race is hoping to raise funds to get bici off the ground. If you want more info or to donate, email me and I will get you in touch with the right people.

See you tomorrow! I will be manning a stop and having fun at the afterparty. Come out and say hello! If you win, there is a Triathablog T-shirt with your name on it.

No comments: