Monday, October 6, 2008

pool culture

One thing that I miss about running is the camaraderie and community that you have with other runners. When I was training for races, there was always someone to run with, to talk to about running, or whine to about nagging shin splints and knee troubles. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough in to the swimming world, but I'm finding that this kind of bond doesn't exist among amateur swimmers. But I guess it's hard to chat and get to know other people when you spend most of your time under water and possibly wearing ear plugs (which I bought last week, and they have changed my life).

Despite the lack of community, I rather enjoy the mix of people at the pool. The typical pool patron falls into one of two categories: 1) Asian, or 2) Old. Do not misread me here - I like Asians and Olds. I just find it interesting that they are the ones I can count on to be at the pool consistently. There is an occasional really attractive young male swimmer I wouldn't mind sharing a lane with, if you know what I mean. But for the most part - Asians and Olds. Just this morning I shared a lane (in the literal sense) with an old lady who didn't seem to be very happy about sharing the lane with me. She was a little scary.

After I finish my laps I usually get into the hot tub to stretch. This goes against everything I believe about being sanitary, but it feels so good that I forget about what sorts of creepies might be floating in there. The typical demographic of the hot tub is either the Olds or the Possible Pedophiles. You know the ones I'm talking about - middle-aged white males, sometimes sporting a moustache, always creepy. This weekend, there was one such male in the hot tub. I tried not to make eye contact, feeling rather vulnerable in my suit and all. After a while of being successful in not looking at him, I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye. He was scooping up the bubbles from the top of the water and rubbing them into his chest hair. It brought me great discomfort. I think he was looking for camaraderie, too.

4 comments:

skip said...

omg. rubbing the hot tub bubbles into his chest hair. that is the most disturbing thing I've heard all day.

Amy said...

Amanda, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I nearly gagged. I'm serious.

Elisa said...

I laugh out loud every time I think of that happening to you. I can just imagine you slowly getting out of the hot tub, rushing into the locker room and bursting out laughing!

things like that never happen on bikes. man!

Carrie said...

i don't know, i saw some guys on fixies working the hot tub bubbles just the other day.