Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pimpin may not be easy, but neither is riding

"It's as easy as riding bike"

How many times have I heard that? Some advice: never ride behind or beside these people. Riding in traffic (or anywhere besides a large, empty suburban road) is hard. Not necessarily in a physical way. It requires attention and skill that is only learned by concentration and practice.

Deciding that you are going to start say, commuting down Crestwood boulevard during rush hour a few weeks after riding, is not only stupid but dangerous. I am still not totally comfortable changing lanes and riding straight while glancing behind me, much less swerving onto gravel (there are no shoulders) or staying upright when grazed by the side mirror of some idiot who decides that 1 inch is plenty of room. These are skills that, while you may not use them for months, are the difference between a bit of road rash and a busted collarbone.

This is not to say that you shouldn't ride until you have it mastered. Far from it. I am simply trying to be smart. I love riding and would love to give up my car today! Doing that, however, would be dangerous for me, other riders and car drivers (even though I am pretty sure I am supposed to hate cars now). Taking Mick Jaggar to a coffee shop or Al's is one thing, taking it 10 miles down Highway 78 (which has NO shoulders...how on earth is this a good thing?!) to the suburbs is another thing completely.

So for now I am mapping out transit routes and learning how to secure my bike to the racks on the front of all the buses to get to work. Maybe I can give up the car after all.

One more thing: when you see those people riding in traffic smoothly and confidently, try not to assume they are another hipster slacker. It requires a level of concentration and skill that would astound you. Give them an extra foot or two of road space and remember that they are one less car you are fighting against for the primo parking space at the Summit.

1 comment:

alan b said...

make no mistake, i am a hipster slacker.