Wednesday, October 15, 2008

If you're going to do it...

You might as well look good!

I love riding. However, one teensy problem with cycling as transportation has been figuring how to look cute when I get to, say Bottletree or Urban Standard. I am not a fan of spandex. At all. I found this great website, Copenhagen Cycling Chic, sort of a Sartorialist for cyclists and fell in love.




Leggings! Boots! miniskirts! Legwarmers! A dream come true for a girl on two wheels. Urban Outfitters, here I come.

Another little problem is that sometimes a girl needs some...ahem, padding to stay comfortable. All of the 'cycling pants' I have found in bike shops are spandex extravanganzas! So, I jumped on the internet superhighway. and found these:



and


All from Harlot, a women's cycling apparel shop. How can you not love a company who has this written on their website:

"Many people ask us about the name Harlot. Certainly, an old word for prostitute might seem like an odd thing to name a company after. We actually have a good reason that makes sense to us. It involves the history of women on bicycles, the reclaiming of a derogatory word, and little tongue-in-cheek fun."

I am going to be Rockin' the hot cycling gear in Birmingham soon!

For more urban cycling gear, check out these great sites:


Cordarounds. Nothing for women, but I talked to the guys and they will have womens wear in February or March!
Swrve
Chrome. Known for their bags, but the knickers look kick ass as well. None for women however.
And the brand preferred by Bike Messengers: R E Load

I am having trouble finding any cool urban cycling gear in Birmingham. If you know of any, please let me know! Please, Please.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Your R. E. Load link is faulty/incorrect.

Elisa said...

Thanks Natalie-fixed.

Kevin Wilder said...

Did I ever tell you about the Dutch chicks in Amsterdam? They had the best style ever, and would ride their bikes 30 miles plus, dressed up and thinking nothing of it! Heels and skirts and cycles; way sexy. Maybe it's more doable with the recent weather switch?