Monday, October 13, 2008

half the battle

Much like our runner, I have reservations about calling myself a “swimmer.” Not only because I have never been one (competitively, that is), but also because I just don’t look like one. Swimmers have a distinct body shape that I definitely do not possess, so when I tell someone that I swim, I am sure that in their mind they are comparing me to Dara Torres. Which is really no comparison at all.

As with any other sport, or life situation for that matter, it is often helpful to have the right gear. Not only does said gear serve a functional purpose, it also helps to deceive others into believing that you are a seasoned swimmer, runner, biker, etc. For example, Elisa could have never ridden a day in her life, but if she has on a helmet and a flashing ass-light, I believe it. I think the old saying goes, "Looking good is half the battle." Or something like that.

When I first started swimming, I was wearing a black Michael Kors tank suit. Functionally, it was okay for lap swimming, but aesthetically I looked like a middle-aged mom taking her kids to the pool. The addition of the swim cap, while initially bought to save my hair from the evil chlorine water, helped my plight some, but really only looked silly when paired with the mom suit. As did my goggles, which I bought on a spur of the moment at the beach so I could learn to swim with my face in the water. Not bad considering they were purchased at a shop that also sells beach towels with naked women on them, but not the best either.

After some research, I now have a more functional, competition-type swimsuit *and a pair of Speedo Vanquisher goggles *, which I used for the first time this morning and they are amazing (my last goggles left me looking like I was still wearing them for a good twenty minutes after they were removed – not attractive). Not surprisingly, having the right gear makes swimming much easier. There is less tugging on the straps of my swimsuit in an effort to not flash the lifeguard after every lap, and I no longer waste time defogging my goggles, although that did provide a good excuse to take breaks when I was tired ...

If it weren’t for my obvious lack of training and my poor form, I would look like I’ve been winning meets for years. And looks, my friends, are all that counts.


*I bought my stuff from SwimOutlet.com. I would like to know of a place in town that sells quality swim gear, so if you know of one, please let me know!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool. i wore a swimsuit that is probably 10 yrs old when i swam this weekend (inspired by your triathablogging) and my goggles fogged up. i had to stop every few laps to defog and readjust, so as not to give the young coeds a glimpse of my not-so-youngness.

Anonymous said...

Although, it's been a while, I think I got some of my gear at Homewood Sporting Goods.