Friday, October 10, 2008

A girl has needs

So, if you will recall back to 2 days ago, Mick Jaggar is sick. Yesterday he got sicker and I was scared. And frustrated. This is the part of cycling that is scary to me...not knowing how to fix my bike or what I have done wrong. I tried looking at my "The Complete Book of Bicycling", but that seems to have been written for people who already know about bikes. Not much help. I looked on the internet, which was a bit more helpful. However, everytime I thought I had it figured out...I fell down.

Bruised and beaten, I turned to my friend Alan. He told me what he thought was wrong and how to fix it. Easy enough I thought, until I tried it. Again something was off! I really didn't want to go to a shop because a)those places scare me and b) I never leave without spending money and feeling like an idiot. Neither of those seemed like a good idea in my state. Then Carrie said "Hey, Heath rides, why don't you stop by and ask him to take a look at it?" Brilliant! So I did and 10 minutes later, Mick was up and running. Turns out Carrie had unknowingly found me my very own bike mechanic (don't worry-his contact info is below)!! And one who did not make me feel stupid or silly or ridiculous. I am so excited. Heath also looked at Mick and suggested a quick clean up and tune up (which I knew it needed, but was putting off...of course). So we made an appointment for that as well. All within 10 minutes in the parking lot of my local Starbucks. A scared girl rider's dream.

Riding has done a lot for me since I started. I feel better, am less stressed, saving money and the earth...but the best thing has definitely been the community. I have yet to have a problem that someone couldn't help me with. Too scared ride at night? I can call on the Brocyclers. Need a repair or fix up (he is also going to help me find new tires and retape)? Call Heath. Stuck somewhere and need a ride home? Commutesmart will send someone out.

My main goal for this contest was to become part of a movement and community. Well, less than 2 weeks in and I am feeling it already. Thanks guys.

To get in touch with Heath for repairs, tune-ups...just about anything, call him at 303.489.4723. Tell him Triathablog sent you!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

it's true! heath just gave me some soy milk for my granola. it was free, just for mentioning "triathablog."

Amanda said...

oh, THAT heath! duh.