Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cycling: gateway drug to Breaking and Entering?

Turns out there are many recreational hazards to riding everywhere. For example, when not taking a car, one often forgets her car keys. Sounds innocent, until you think that most often your house keys are attached to the car keys. oops. Last night, after arriving home from Bottletree at 11pm, I realized my little error. What to do? Get your spare. oops, lent that out. On a roll, Elisa!
So, obviously I was breaking in. High windows + furniture dolly propped against a brick wall + nearly broken screen and 2 broken nails + 30 minutes and scrapes on the belly = Victory!
And that was the end of the night. I had already battled helmet head, walking into a bar with a flashing red light on the back of my jeans and one pant leg rolled up. Want to carry a cute handbag? not going to happen. Drink a beer? Yeah, great idea...riding a road bike in traffic with a buzz...maybe not.

But let me tell you, It was pretty awesome. No worries about parking or waiting for your ride to want to leave. When I pulled up, there was one other bike in the rack. When I left the rack was full. Seems some folks are reading Triathablog!

While in the bar, someone asked if I had worked on this weeks Physical Challenge (incorporate strength/weight training or stretching into workouts). I said that I was planning on doing it after getting home that night. Psh. I proceeded to do some (about 10) wall push-ups. (the bands were changing out, so I wasn't being rude). Then I decided, what the hell, why not do some stretching? So I did (amidst laughs from friends). felt great.

What am I trying to say (what am I trying to say?)? That riding to social events has it's hazards, but I am in it to win it, baby. So if that means helmet head and flashing butts and climbing in through windows...well, so be it.

(It's actually kind of fun)

One last thing: my new bicycle needs a name. so far I have narrowed it down to Mick Jaggar or Marla Singer. thoughts? What is your vote? I am riding a 2006 Lemond eTape. black with white/silver and blue accents, fyi.

UPDATE 10-6-08: Decided on Mick Jaggar. A good friend (whose name may or may not start with A and end in Manda reminded me that "you don't want a woman between your legs". can't argue with that. so, Mick it is! (it is what I was leaning towards anyway!)

another (last) thing: I signed up for twitter, so you can follow all my triathablog adventures as they happen. follow me at http://twitter.com/triathelisa. Or, if you are a running fan (which you shouldn't be...but whatevs), you can follow Carrie at :http://twitter.com/triathacarrie

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I always knew athletics was supposed to affect the way your butt looked...

skip said...

Bike name: Marcel Marceau. He made riding a bike look so easy. And he's french, like your bike.